Just My Type: A Book about Fonts - Simon Garfield This is by no means a book for the faint-hearted layman. By about 2/3 through I had almost lost the will to live - only sheer obstinacy nudging me anxiously forwards (well also, hands up, when your partner is thoughtful enough to buy you a book for Christmas you don't want to dissuade him from doing so in future). It began for me as a dalliance with a subject with which I was hitherto blissfully ignorant of and mildly curious about and to be fair the opening chapters were gentle and the learning curve not steep. Heck, I even had a laugh or two: Are there really people who make it there business to spot typographical continuity errors in films?!? It was almost fun. The middle of the book was more technical: by this point the reader is expected to be up to speed on the basic design elements as fonts are discussed in greater detail. OK - it was becoming a grind. But the author changes tack for the final few chapters when the font police step in. Already feeling grossly inadequate when out and about for being unable to discern one font from another ("Yes, it looks like Times New Roman but how can I tell if it's not some other, related font?")and finding myself discussing the fonts on road signs on the way home from a romantic evening out I turned to the final couple of chapters to put an end to the misery. Instead, I discovered every misuse of fonts I had ever made laid out and ridiculed. Oh the shame of it! How I cringed through those final pages...

I don't know how this book would read for someone with a design interest. Frankly, I'm not too sure that I really care to know. I'm guilty of having used Comic Sans *cough* once or twice. I never want to hear about fonts again.

By the way, what font am I using here?